Wednesday 1 June 2011

Love Wins Hoopla

If you haven’t heard all about the hoopla surrounding Rob Bell’s latest contribution, Love Wins, then you’ve obviously just returned from a pilgrimage to the South Pole. Did it go well for you?




Personally I’ve lost count of how many times someone has asked me what I thought of the book, and funnily enough, how many times that question has been asked in a nervous whisper. What the heck!?! Since when could we not openly and honestly discuss a book, be challenged by some serious questions, be forced to look afresh at what we believe and why? I haven’t heard of a book being black listed since Tommy Tenny’s The God Chasers and that was at the turn of last century! Yet in regards to Love Wins; I’ve heard of interns being banned from reading it, that it asks questions that just don’t need to be asked, and even of someone being fired for supporting some of the ideas that Bell floats. Fun times!

Knowing that so many have read the book and knowing that the next book most interns are going to buy will be the one they’ve just been banned from reading, perhaps there is a better response to Love Wins than simply denouncing and banning it. In a Pastoral context perhaps a Love Wins Connect Group could be put together and an appropriate leader found to walk young people through the book chapter by chapter, critiquing and exploring rather than running from it. You could perhaps call it a ‘teaching opportunity.’ Just a thought...


Anyway, I thought we’d go through the book chapter by chapter. I’ve never met Rob Bell, never been to his church. I’ve only read two of his books, and only watched a couple of Nooma DVD’s. However for about the last three years I’ve been listening to the weekly pod casts from his church Mars Hill Bible Church. Through these I have continually been challenged and inspired to put my faith and trust in the resurrected Jesus and his saving work at the cross. I’ve continually been encouraged in my faith, inspired to love Jesus and to love others more. Continually I have been reminded of the need to turn away from my own selfish way of living and to embrace the way of Jesus which has radical implications to ever area of my life.

So with that in mind, what’s the deal with Love Wins?


We’ll tackle chapter one What About The Flat Tire? next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment